top of page

Spain’s Non-Lucrative Visa:


90 days


Spain Program Benefits

Spain’s Non-Lucrative Visa allows non-EU citizens to live in Spain provided they are able to support themselves financially.  It is used by those planning to retire to Spain and is an option for British retirees and other people who do not plan to work in Spain now that the UK is no longer a member of the EU.


EU Residency

Estimated government approval in 90 days.


Entire Family are Eligible

Spouses, dependent children and parents.


Visa-free Travel

Within Schengen Zone for 90 days within any six-month period.


EU Permanent Residency & Citizenship

Apply for citizenship after completing the 5th year.


Low Minimum Stay Requirements

7 days during the 1st yr & 14 days during each subsequent 2yrs of residence.


Attractive Tax Regime

Beneficial tax regime for non-habitual residents (NHR).


Option to Let Your Property

Secure your EU residency with potential returns on your investments.

High Standard of Schooling

Access to many prestigious universities at lower EU tuition fees.

What is the Non-Lucrative Visa?

Spain’s Non-Lucrative Residence Visa is an option for people who would like to retire in the country as well as those non-EU citizens who would like to live in the country but work remotely from Spain.  It can also be an option for those who would like to spend a year in Spain without working before obtaining a work permit.  As the name implies it is about non-EU citizens who have the financial means to support themselves in the country without working and any accompanying family.

The visa allows you to say in Spain for one year after entering the Spanish territory.  You must spend a minimum of 183 days in the country to be able to renew.  This also means that you will become tax resident and taxable on your worldwide income (subject to double tax treaties).

The visa can be renewed every 2 years until you get permanent residency, which is available after 5 years in the country.

Although the visa does not allow you to carry out any type of economic or professional activity in Spain, it does not require you to invest in the country to obtain a visa.  You simply have to show that you have sufficient means to support yourself (and your family).   That does not mean that you cannot invest in Spain while there with this visa.  You are free to invest in any business and generate additional income.

Although you are not able to earn in Spain while staying under this visa, you can study and this includes a paid internship.

The restriction is not to work in Spain and many people apply for this visa and continue to work remotely for a company in another country.  The visa does not address remote work and this arrangement is generally accepted.  However, in some cases applicants have been refused when indicating that they plan to work remotely and so although this can be a good option for people who want to spend time in Spain but continue working remotely it should be handled carefully when explaining the source of funds you will rely on.

The Non-Lucrative Visa entitles you to travel freely within the Schengen zone.

Requirements for a Non-Lucrative Visa

The following requirements must be met in order to be eligible for the visa:

Demonstrating you have sufficient funds

In the case of the non-lucrative visa, you must prove that you have 400% of the IPREM annually in your bank account.  The Public Indicator of Multiple Effects Income which is the benchmark in Spain for the allocation of aid and subsidies.   In 2024 this means that the main applicant for this visa must demonstrate he or she has at least 28,800€. This is, however, the minimum and a higher amount may be required.  For each dependent travelling with you will require that you have an additional amount equal to the IPREM (7,200€ annually).  Thus the requirement for a couple is 36,000€

The legislation refers to income and the primary way of demontrating this is showing what goes through your bank account.  It is possible to demonstrate that you have the required resources by showing you will be receiving regular income, such as a pension or pensions, that you have savings that you can live off or a combination of both.   You will be required to provide a bank certificate or bank statements from the last six months.  The funds may be in multiple accounts.

Remote work is an issue here.  The treatment of this can vary from consulate to consulate.  Some may accept income from a job or business outside Spain but others may require proof that the employment is to be terminated before you move to Spain if earned income is evident on your bank statements.

bottom of page